You may receive an “unfortunately File Manager has stopped” error on your Android phone due to a corrupted File manager app or insufficient device storage space. Luckily, you can fix this issue by restarting your Android device, clearing the File Manager app cache, uninstalling the app updates, force-stopping the app, etc.
File Manager plays an important role in the Android ecosystem. It is generally used to store pictures, videos, audio, apps, zip files, and other documents.
No doubt it has numerous outstanding features but recently many Android users have reported “unfortunately file manager has stopped” error. They conveyed that the error occurred when they tried to launch the File Manager or even the crucial file stored within it.
Thus, if you are also going through the same error then keep on reading this post.
What Causes Unfortunately File Manager Has Stopped?
There’re numerous factors that can lead to such annoying issues in Android. Thus, below I’ve compiled the major reasons behind it:-
- Due to the damaged cache data of the File Manager.
- The File Manager application has been damaged or corrupted.
- The storage capacity of your smartphone is full.
- Malware infection in a device.
Now, let’s move ahead to know how to remove unfortunately file manager has stopped error by applying the below fixes.
How To Fix Unfortunately File Manager Has Stopped On Android?
Simply check out the below-troubleshooting fixes to solve this issue without any trouble.
- Reboot Your Android Device
- Clear Cache or Data File Manger App
- Uninstall File Manager Updates
- Force Stop Your File Manager App
- Disable File Manager Notification
- Clear Data Of the Download Manager
- Free Up Your Device Storage
- Update Your Android Phone OS
- Use the Third-Party File Managers
- Reset App Preferences
- Do Factory Reset
- Use Advanced Android Repair Tool
Solution 1: Reboot Your Android Device
Before trying any other complicated methods, you shout first go with the basic trick that is to restart your device.
As you already know, rebooting has the capability to deal all kinds of major as well as minor issues on smartphones. Thus, in order to get rid of the above-mentioned error, simply restart your mobile.
All you need to do is long-press a Power key of your device and hit the Restart option to restart your device.
After restarting your device, again try to access Files manager apps, and check whether it works as expected or not.
You May Also Read: (Solved) “Unfortunately, Gallery Has Stopped” Error On Android
Solution 2: Clear Cache or Data File Manger App
Since it has been mentioned above that corrupted cache or data of the File Manager app could also result in unfortunately file manager has stopped keeps popping up.
In such a situation, clearing the cache files of the file manager app can help you to troubleshoot it effectively.
Steps to be followed to clear cache of the file manager app:
- Open Settings > tap on an Application Manager.
- Then, go to “All Applications” and choose File Manager
- Again, tap on the Storage & Cache
- Finally, touch the Clear Cache option.
Solution 3: Uninstall File Manager Updates
If the above methods don’t help you to fix this problem then try uninstalling the file manager updates. Check out the beneath instructions to know how to uninstall the file manager updates:
- Navigate to your phone’s “Settings” app.
- Then, tap on “Apps” which is in the device section.
- Here, you’ll get the list of the installed apps.
- Just scroll down to find the file manager app & click on it.
- Next, tap on “More” option then “Uninstall updates”.
- At last, tap the OK button to confirm.
After completing these steps, you can restart the file manager app and check if the problem is solved.
Solution 4: Force Stop Your File Manager App
If you’re facing a problem while accessing the File manager app then you should force stop your file manager app. In order to resolve file manager keeps stopping Android, follow the below easy steps:
- Find your File Manager app from the App Drawer.
- Keep pressing the app icon & open App info menu.
- Now, tap on the Force Stop.
Solution 5: Disable File Manager Notification
Turning off the notification of the File Manager app might help you to troubleshoot unfortunately file manager has stopped issue.
Here’s the step by step guide for disabling the file manager notification:
- Access your phone’s Settings app
- Then, move to App or Application Manager > All Applications
- Search File Manager app and tap on it
- Click on Notifications.
- At this time, press a toggle button to disable it.
If you don’t want to try other complicated methods then use Android Repair Tool. You can simply download it from the below-given buttons.
Solution 6: Clear Data Of the Download Manager
Step 1: Open Settings app on your Android phone
Step 2: Then, go to Storage and choose Application Storage
Step 3: Search Download Manager and then clear data of the download manager.
Solution 7: Free Up Your Device Storage
Most of the time, it happens that when your device is running out of space then throws different error messages. One such error that you are recently facing.
To tackle this situation, you need to remove the unwanted files from your device to free up some space on your device.
You May Also Like: Solve Unfortunately Camera Has Stopped Error on Android
Solution 8: Update Your Android Phone OS
Sometimes, using the outdated version of the Android OS can cause several kinds of issues including unfortunately file manager has stopped on Android tablet error.
If this issue is caused due to running the outdated version of the device OS then you need to install the latest version of the Android phone OS to fix this issue.
Here is how you can do so:
- Open “Settings” >> find and tap on “About Phone” option.
- Tap on “System Updates” >> click “Check for Updates,” if there is any latest version available then simply download and install it.
Solution 9: Use the Third-Party File Managers
Well, this is not a solution but an optional way to deal with this Android glitch. Therefore, if you need to use the file manager app urgently then you can make use of third party file manager app.
As you know, several third-party file manager apps are available on the Play store, you may choose the best one among them and can use it until the problem is fixed.
Solution 10: Reset App Preferences
Reset App Preferences is another helpful way to solve unfortunately file manager has stopped keeps popping up the issue.
Several users have succeeded to troubleshoot this error by using this method. Therefore, you may also try it once by following the below-directed steps:
- Open your Phone’s Settings
- Then, touch on Apps/Application manager
- Go to Menu (3 vertical dots) which is located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose Reset App Preferences & hit Reset option.
Also Read: [11 Easy Ways] Fix Unfortunately IMS Service Has Stopped 2021
Solution 11: Do Factory Reset
This is the last option that will surely help you to resolve unfortunately file manager has stopped issue.
But along with that, factory reset will delete everything from your device including apps, settings, and other data.
So, before executing this method, kindly save the backup of all your essential data otherwise you may lose your data forever.
- Go to Settings menu on your Android phone
- Now, move down & choose Backup and Reset option
- Now, tap on the Factory Data Reset option and follow the given instructions to reset your Android device.
Use Advanced Tool To Fix “Unfortunately File Manager Has Stopped” On Android
If you fail to solve this issue even after trying the above-listed methods then you should use the Android Repair Tool.
This software not only fixes, unfortunately, file manager has stopped errors but it has the capability to fix all kinds of errors and bugs such as – moisture detected, apps keep crashing, Bluetooth issues, black screen of death, stuck in a boot loop, unfortunately messaging has stopped and many more.
Besides that, anyone can use this tool as it doesn’t require any technical knowledge.
So, download and install this tool on your PC and get rid of unfortunately file manager stopped with ease.
Follow the step-by-step guide to run this software.
Time To Conclude
Several reasons can cause unfortunately file manager has stopped issue on your phone. So, before taking your device to the service center I’ll suggest you to try out the aforementioned solutions.
All the methods are tested and tried and hence they can help you to deal with this problem.
Additionally, I have also recommended the best repair tool – Android Repair Tool to fix this error. This software will solve this issue in one click.
Jennifer Fiona is a founder of recover-androiddata.com. She loves to write articles related to Android data recovery solutions, tips, tricks, and fixes for issues/errors. Apart from that, she loves to watch movies and play online games.